This time on the CriterionCast, Ryan, James, and Travis travel deep into the heart of Africa to discuss Cornel Wilde’s incredible 1966 film, The Naked Prey.
About the film:
Glamorous leading man turned idiosyncratic auteur Cornel Wilde created in the sixties and seventies a handful of gritty, violent explorations of the nature of man, none more memorable than The Naked Prey. In the early nineteenth century, after an ivory-hunting safari offends an African tribe, the colonialists are captured and hideously tortured. Only Wilde’s marksman is released, without clothes or weapons, to be hunted for sport, and he embarks on a harrowing journey through savanna and jungle, back to a primitive state. Distinguished by vivid widescreen camera work and the unflinching depiction of savagery, The Naked Prey is both a propulsive, stripped-to-the-bone narrative and a meditation on the notion of civilization.
Buy The Film On Amazon:
- Amazon.com: The Naked Prey (The Criterion Collection)
- The Naked Prey (1966) – The Criterion Collection
- The Naked Prey: Into the Wild – From the Current – The Criterion Collection
- The Naked Prey (1966) directed by Cornel Wilde • Letterboxd
- The Naked Prey :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews
- The Naked Prey – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Naked Prey | Variety
- Movie Review – The Naked Prey – Screen: ‘The Naked Prey’:Cornel Wilde Is Chased Through the Jungles – NYTimes.com
- Mighty Whitey – Television Tropes & Idioms
- The Mumpsimus: The Naked Prey
- The Naked Prey (1966) – Home Video Reviews – TCM.com
- The United Provinces of Ivanlandia: The Naked Prey (1965): A New Ivanlandia Fave!
- THE NAKED PREY | Films In Review
- The Naked Prey – Wacky New Years Drawing – CriterionCast Facebook Page
- Ryan Gallagher (Twitter / Website)
- James McCormick (Twitter / cineAWESOME / Hopeful Romantics)
- Travis George (Twitter)
Next time on the podcast: